The RPI formula hybrid team prepares students to use their skills and knowledge to succeed in an engineering workplace, practice professionalism, and demonstrate skill in project management techniques.
Check out out Main Webpage:http://formulahybrid.rpi.edu/
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Impact Attenuator, Upright and Motor Mount Progress
This week we made quite a bit of progress.
The mount for the AGNI 95r electric motor we're running is finished being designed. FYI for those of you who are interested in using this motor - the mechanical drawing is wrong on their website. Specifically, the bolt pattern is a 196mm diameter circle, instead of 194mm. The lever arm you see is a tension mechanism for the final drive.
Miles and I spent some time last Friday testing impact attenuator - or in Layman's terms, the bumper. Plascore was generous enough to sell us some attenuator material, which is made of 3003 aluminum honeycomb. It's great at absorbing energy at a constant force. We tested the material's strength against displacement in RPI's concrete testing Instron machine.
Here you can see the localized compression of the cells.
I was able to get some work done on the jig for the uprights tonight as well.
Taylor and Joe cranked out a lot of parts this weekend! We've got to keep this momentum up if we're going to finish the car in 4 weeks like we plan to.